Home Indemnity Insurance Brokers

Do you operate a residential building business in WA, speak to our expert about Home Indemnity Insurance.
Home Indemnity Insurance
Do you operate a residential building business in WA, speak to our expert about Home Indemnity Insurance.
Home Indemnity Insurance in Australia

What is Home Indemnity Insurance?

Home Indemnity Insurance (HII) protects against financial loss if a builder cannot complete residential building work or meet a valid claim for faulty or unsatisfactory building work because a ‘relevant circumstance’ exists in relation to the builder.

A relevant circumstance can occur if:

  • the builder is an individual and the builder dies, disappears or becomes insolvent; or
  • the builder is not an individual, such as a corporation, and the builder ceases to exist or becomes insolvent.
A ‘relevant circumstance’ can arise if the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) cancels a building services contractor registration, or the Building Services Board (BSB) does not renew such a registration. In this ‘relevant circumstance’, cancellation by the SAT or non-renewal by the BSB must have occurred because the builder failed to satisfy the financial requirements prescribed in regulations under the Building Services (Registration) Act 1991 (WA).

In most instances, the Home Indemnity Insurance policy must cover the residential building work during the construction period and for six years from the date of ‘practical completion’ (the six-year insurance period). Practical completion is when the building, extensions or renovations are completed and ready for occupation.

The Act applies to all areas of the State; however, the provisions of the Act are different when a person builds, extends or renovates their own home as an owner builder, or a builder seeks exemption to build their principal place of residence.
For the latest information, please contact Bruno Rocha in our Perth office on 0419 149 043 or visit the Department of Commerce
website: https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/home-indemnity-insurance

Why I need
Home Indemnity Insurance?

In Western Australia, residential building work contracts are governed by the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 (the Act) and relates to any residential building project valued at over $20,000 (subject to certain exclusions). It is a requirement for a builder to take out Home Indemnity Insurance.
Home Indemnity Insurance
Cowden Insurance Brokers
Trusted by Thousands

Our ability to consistently find the correct solution based on our clients needs has built the trust and loyalty that thousands of Australians have in us.

50 Years of Experience

Cowden Limited was founded in 1972 and through growth and acquisition has become a major force in the Australian insurance market.

Strong Referral Record

95% of new business is by-way-of referrals from our satisfied clients.

Safeguard your Business

We use cutting-edge technology to give you the most cost effective insurance solution.

We are Licensed Insurance Advisors

Along with our 50 years of experience, we hold an Australian Financial Services Licence.
Providing you with peace of mind that we have proven and authoritative service.

We've got you Covered

With offices in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, we will find the solution for your insurance needs.

Hear What Our Clients Have to Say
Frequently Asked Questions
It covers homeowners for loss of deposit, incomplete or defective building work if the builder dies, disappears, or becomes insolvent.
If a home is being built or renovated, in most cases, it’s a mandatory requirement that a builder takes out Home Indemnity Insurance.
The builder carrying out residential building work on behalf of an owner is responsible for taking out the policy and for giving the owner a copy of the certificate of insurance BEFORE:
  • starting any residential building work;
  • asking the homeowner to pay a deposit; or
  • asking the homeowner to pay any other money under a residential building contract.
No, the policy comes into effect only if a ‘relevant circumstance’ exists; in all other cases a builder will remain responsible for claims made by a homeowner (or owners of the home thereafter) during the six-year period following practical completion.
A builder who is required to take out the insurance can be prosecuted and fined. They may also risk losing their builder’s registration.
Cowden Limited is an approved QBE distributer; we have the experience to arrange what you need as a licenced builder.
Send Us A Message
We will get in touch with you shortly.
For our existing clients, please contact your broker directly. Refer to our location pages for their contact details.